Apex Legends developer Respawn Entertainment announced that the long-awaited “next-gen” versions of their hit battle royale game will be released today. That’s right, Apex Legends is finally coming to PS5 and Xbox Series X as part of the Warriors Collection update.
Taking advantage of the increased power of the newer consoles, the updated versions will support 4K output, HDR, higher resolution shadow maps, increased details at distance, and 60fps. Respawn did note, however, that not all the options – most notably 4K support – will be available on the Series S. This isn’t the end of the updates either, with haptic feedback and adaptive trigger support planned for the PS5’s DualSense, further improvements to visuals and audio, and 120fps support.
Installing the next-gen Apex Legends version will require some effort depending on which platform you're playing on, so we've put together a quick guide to Xbox Series X/S and PS5 below.
How to download Apex Legends Xbox Series X/S version
The good news for Xbox Series X/S players is that the platform’s Smart Delivery will automatically download the best version of the game automatically. Your game should update as soon as the patch has been released.
How to install Apex Legends PS5 version
PS5 players have a big more work on their hands. If you don’t have Apex Legends installed yet, you should be able to download the PS5 version from the get go. If you have the PS4 version installed currently, here’s what you need to go:
- Open the Game Hub for Apex Legends from the PS5 dashboard (either from your Game Library or by shifting down after highlighting the game on your PS5 main menu).
- Choose the three dots “...” Options button next to Play Game.
- Choose “Select Version” and pick the PS5 version of the game.
- Your download of the PS5 version should start automatically.
- Once the download completes, find the PS4 version of Apex Legends in your Game Library and delete it.
Alternatively, you can uninstall Apex Legends’s PS4 version from your PS5 and then redownload the PS5 version afterwards.
Whatever your platform of choice, once you’ve downloaded the next-gen version of Apex Legends, you can load it up to enjoy the new visual improvements alongside the updates in the new patch.