Legendary director John Carpenter isn’t working on a Dead Space movie adaptation, but he might have confirmed that one is happening.
In an interview with Variety, the director of The Thing and Assault on Precinct 13 briefly discussed rumors of his involvement with a Dead Space movie. Carpenter has never hidden his love of video games, but he was quick to dispel and hopes of his involvement with the cinematic adaptation of Visceral Games’ 2008 horror-action title.
“No, no, no. I can’t believe how that spread,” said Carpenter. “I’m a big video game fan, so I played all the games. I was down looking at the new digital cameras, the RED, and happened to mention to them that I would love to do a ‘Dead Space’ film.”
With the Dead Space remake due to release later this month, the time, if ever, would seem right to announce a silver screen adaptation. There’s never been official confirmation of a Dead Space movie being in the works, but on speaking on the topic, Carpenter certainly seems to confirm that one is in the works, and that someone else had already been picked to run the show.
“That just went around, and everybody said, ‘Oh, when are you gonna do it?’” Continued Carpenter. “I’m not gonna do it. I think they already have another director involved. And they haven’t asked me to do it. So until someone asks me, I wouldn’t do it. But there’s a new version of the Dead Space video game coming out in January, and I’m there.”
Whether it’s coming to cinemas soon or not, Dead Space will return to screen before long. Electronic Art’s Dead Space remake releases for PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X/S on January 27. The remake brings far more than just updated visuals, promising expanded gameplay and cinematic elements, and a voice for formerly silent protagonist Isaac Clarke.