Today, the winners of the 2018 BIG Festival Awards were revealed. The BIG Festival Awards serves as Latin America’s largest independent games event. During the event, awards are given out across 18 different categories such as Best Narrative Game to Best Multiplayer Game. The largest award of the night is the “Best Game of BIG Festival 2018” which was awarded this year to Frostpunk.
Frostpunk by Poland’s 11 Bit Studios is a city-building survival game that managed to sell over 250,000 copies during the first three days following its release back in April. Hearing that this excellent title snagged the top prize at the 2018 BIG Festival Awards is certainly no surprise. Other winners during the event include No More Heroes and Where the Water Tastes Like Wine.
Curious to see who else was nominated and who ended up winning? Below, you’ll find the complete list of 2018 BIG Festival Awards winners and nominees!
Who Won at the 2018 BIG Festival Awards?
Best Game: Frostpunk (11 bit studios)
- Nominees: Dead Cells (Motion Twin), 39 Days to Mars (It’s Anecdotal), Semblance (Nyamakop), Cultist Simulator (Weather Factory), Galaxy of Pen and Paper (Behold Studios), Unsighted (Studio Pixel Punk)
Best Brazilian Game: No Heroes Here, Mad Mimic Interactive
- Nominees: Rock & Rails (Black River Studios), Unsighted (Studio Pixel Punk), Galaxy of Pen and Paper (Behold Studios), Hexarmonic (6 Side Studios), Alkimya: Memories of the Last Alchemist (Bad Minions), Radar Warfare (DreamRoad Productions), Roguemance (Lucas Molina), Until Dead – Think to Survive (Monomyto Game Studio), In (Epopeia Games)
Best Latin American Game: Iron Marines (Ironhide Game Studio)
- Nominees: Ship Ahoy! (OKAM Studio), Rock of Ages 2: Bigger and Boulder (ACE Team), The Last Friend (The Stonebot Studio), Darkestville Castle (Epic Llama)
Best Art: Chuchel (Amanita Design)
- Nominees: Dead Cells (Motion Twin), 39 Days to Mars (It’s Anecdotal), Semblance (Nyamakop), Luna (Funomena LLC), The Gardens Between (The Voxel Agents), Haimrik (Below The Game)
Best Narrative: Where the Water Tastes Like Wine (Dim Bulb Games)
- Nominees: Path to Mnemosyne (Spherical Pixel S.L), 39 Days to Mars (It’s Anecdotal), Tacoma (Fullbright), The Mooseman (Vladimir Beletskiy), All Walls Must Fall (Inbetweengames UG), Stay (Appnormals Team)
Best Gameplay: Dead Cells (Motion Twins)
- Nominees: Frostpunk (11 bit Studios), Keyboard Sports – Saving QWERTY (Triband), Semblance (Nyamakop), Cultist Simulator (Weather Factory), DYO (Team DYO), Slime Rancher (Monomi Park)
Best Sound: Rhythm Doctor (7th Beat Games)
- Nominees: Double Kick Heroes (Headbang Club), Chuchel (Amanita Design), Luna (Funomena LLC), 39 Days to Mars (It’s Anecdotal), Hexarmonic (6 Side Studios)
Innovation: Haimrik (Below the Game)
- Nominees: Tacoma (Fullbright), DYO (Team DYO), Cultist Simulator (Weather Factory), Motif. (Yeta Game), At Sundown (Mild Beast Games), Frost (Kunabi Brother)
BIG Impact – Best Educational Game: Marvellous Inc (Marvelous Soft)
- Nominees: Rango Cards (Fira Soft), Alphabet (Spacefrog), Slice Fractions 2 (Ululab), Geração Água (Feevale University – LOA – Laboratório de Objetos de Aprendizagem)
BIG Impact – Social Matters Category: Lenin The Lion (Lornyon)
- Nominees: Fofuuú (Fofuuu Soluções Tecnológicas para Saúde e Educação LTDA), The Mooseman (Vladimir Beletskiy), Florescer (PugCorn), Headliner (Unbound Creations LLC)
Best Student Game: Motif (Yeta Game)
- Nominees: DYO (Developed by Team DYO at the HTW Berlin Institution), Muddledash (Developed by Slampunks, at the University of Edinburgh Institution), At Sundown (Developed by Mild Beast Games, at the University of Southern California Institution), Impulsion (Developed by Driving Force Games, at the Institut de Internet et du Multimedia)
Best Brazilian Student Game (Honorable Mention): Wild Glory (LAJE Studios and Manalith Studios)
Best Multiplayer Game: Muddledash (Slampunks)
- Nominees: Arena Gods (Supertype), No Heroes Here (Mad Mimic Interactive), At Sundown (Mild Beast Games), Treadnauts (Topstitch Games)
Best Game for Kids: Fofuuu (Spacefrog)
- Nominees: Chuchel (Amanita Design), Alphabet (Spacefrog), Luna (Funomena LLC), St. Ives (StoryMax)
Best Virtual Reality Game: Luna (Funomena LLC)
- Nominees: Ship Ahoy! (OKAM Studio), The Invisible Hours (Tequila Works), Primordian (Stonepunk Studios, LLC), Rock & Rails (Black River Studios)
BIG Starter – Best Educational or Social Impact Game: Mompas (Studio Nebulosa)
- Nominees: Cleaver (Equipe CLEAVER), Projeto Ticolicos (Lost DEVS), Mompas (Studio Nebulosa), AmbIA (Imersys), Legally Addicted (Nonsense Bull Games)
BIG Starter – Entertainment: One Beat Minute (Pixjuice)
- Nominees: Little Dude The Game (Initial Tape), U.A.I (Umbu Games), Epic Golf 2D (Estúdio Vaca Roxa), Jamie's Dream (Cartonbox Studio)
BIG Brands – Best Game: PSG Football Freestyle (Hermit Crab Studio)
- Nominees: Steven Universe Beach City (Drifters Avix Games, for Cartoon Network), Guardiões de Terradoce (Midnight Creators, for Florestal)
People’s Choice Award: No Heroes Here (Mad Mimic Interactive)
What do you think of the winners at the 2018 BIG Festival Awards? Are any of your favorite indie games among the winners and nominees? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below, and for more indie game news, check out the new Binding of Isaac cardgame from Edmund McMillen!