At the 23rd annual D.I.C.E. Awards, Untitled Goose Game waddled away with Game of the Year. On Twitter, developer House House expressed their surprise to see Untitled Goose Game take the top prize, especially in contrast to previous winners. That said, many responded with excitement to see their favorite little goose earn Game of the Year.
Untitled Goose Games wins Game of the Year at D.I.C.E.
For the 23rd annual D.I.C.E. Awards, the categories were full of indie game nominees, including Untitled Goose Game which snagged Game of the Year. Up against Untitled Goose Game were strong contenders like Outer Wilds, Disco Elysium, Control, and Death Stranding.
As much as we love games like Disco Elysium, we definitely feel the win for Untitled Goose Game was well-deserved. The game also honked in as our #1 pick for Game of the Year in 2019 as everyone at AllGamers absolutely loved the adorable, mischievous goose.
Untitled Goose Game won a few other awards at D.I.C.E. including Outstanding Achievement in Character and Outstanding Achievement for an Independent Game. Meanwhile, other indie gems like the aforementioned Disco Elysium, Sayonara Wild Hearts, and Baba is You took home prizes as well.
For a full recap of who won each category at the 23rd annual D.I.C.E. Awards, we’ve listed all of the winners down below for you to look through!
- Game of the Year: Untitled Goose Game
- Outstanding Achievement in Character: The Goose from Untitled Goose Game
- Outstanding Achievement for an Independent Game: Untitled Goose Game
- Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction: Control
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition: Control
- Action Game of the Year: Control
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction: Control
- Outstanding Achievement in Audio Design: Death Stranding
- Outstanding Technical Achievement: Death Stranding
- Outstanding Achievement in Story: Disco Elysium
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Design: Baba is You
- Portable Game of the Year: Sayonara Wild Hearts
- Outstanding Achievement in Animation: Luigi’s Mansion
- Adventure Game of the Year: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
- Family Game of the Year: Super Mario Maker 2
- Racing Game of the Year: Mario Kart Tour
- Fighting Game of the Year: Mortal Kombat XI
- Role-Playing Game of the Year: The Outer Worlds
- Sports Game of the Year: FIFA 20
- Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Immersive Reality Technical Achievement: Blood & Truth
- Immersive Reality Game of the Year: Pistol Whip
- Online Game of the Year: Apex Legends
- A.I.A.S. Hall of Fame Award: Connie Booth
After reviewing all of the winners, including Untitled Goose Game as Game of the Year, what are your thoughts? Are there any surprising winners on that list? Any games you thought should have won? Comment below!