For a game that’s largely about carefully checking corners and out-aiming your foes, Escape from Tarkov also includes quite a few different quests to complete. Most of them are fairly straightforward but some, like Gunsmith - Part 4, have caused more than a bit of confusion for many players. If you’re struggling with this modification challenge, this guide will aim to help you complete it without much challenge at all.
Escape from Tarkov Gunsmith - Part 4 guide
The Gunsmith quests in Escape from Tarkov are all about teaching you how to tweak your weaponry between games. Gunsmith - Part 4 asks you to modify an M4A1, transforming it from the underwhelming base version to one equipped with a silencer, 60-round extended mag, sight rating of 800 and up, ergonomics above 67 and recoil sum less than 350. Oh and it also needs to weigh less than 3.8kg. Simple, right? Here are those requirements again if you need them:
- 60-round extended mag
- Sighting range 800+
- Ergonomics 67+
- Recoil 350 or less
- Weight 3.8kg or less
Well, more than a few people have struggled with this challenge, as it involves finding the right parts for each bit of the weapon. We’ll walk you through one solution below. To start, if you don’t already have the Gunsmith - Part 4 quest in Escape from Tarkov, you need to be at least level 15. You can get it from Mechanic if you’ve worked your way through the previous ones.
Once you have the quest, buy an M4A1 from level 2 Peacekeeper. It won’t cost too much, and you need it to complete this quest. Now, with your weapon ready, we recommend picking up the parts below. They’re listed by order of trader, and you’ll need to have Level 3 Peacekeeper and Level 2 Mechanic/Skier unlocked. All credit to Tarkov’s Gamepedia wiki for suggesting the build listed here.
- Direct Thread Mount adapter for Silencerco Hybrid 46 (from Lvl 2 Peacekeeper)
- Silencerco Hybrid 46 multi-caliber silencer (from Lvl 2 Peacekeeper)
- 260mm barrel for AR-15 and compatible 5.56x45 (from Lvl 3 Peacekeeper)
- Magpul M-LOK AFG Tactical Grip (from Lvl 3 Peacekeeper or Skier)
- 60-round MAG5-60 5.56x45 STANAG magazine (from Lvl 3 Peacekeeper, bartering)
- Hogue OverMolded Rubber Grip (from Lvl 3 Peacekeeper)
- Primary Arms Compact Prism Scope 2.5x (from Lvl 2 Skier)
- Magpul MOE SL carbine length M-LOK foregrip for AR15 (from Lvl 2 Skier)
- Windham Weaponry Rail Gas Block (from Lvl 2 Mechanic)
- Troy M7A1 PDW stock (from Lvl 2 Mechanic)
Make sure your magazine is empty, as a full one will add extra weight that you don’t want. When it comes to adding the new parts, Tarkov’s interface can be a little tricky. Be sure to double click on parts like the Stock to remove the part you can replace, and not an entire chunk of the weapon. For an alternate, Peacekeeper-only build that should pass the test, as well as a video showcase of how to adjust the weapon, check out the helpful guide below by Geekseh.
Phew! That was a lot of weapon parts. After fixing that weapon together it's almost a shame to give it away, but a quest is a quest. Now that you know how to complete Escape from Tarkov’s Gunsmith - Part 4 quest, you might also like to visit these other helpful guides we have for the game: